Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

you spin me round - spin for if and a recent graphic novel read

The Illustration Friday prompt this week is: spin. What do you think of when you hear the word spin? I thought of several things that spin, but two I couldn't get out of my mid were someone spinning on skated and a record (or these days, a CD). Once I thought about a record spinning, I thought of an 80's song by Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record).

I started sketching, and this happened:


Look, it's a girl on skates spinning round like a record (literally spinning on a record) and singing along with the Dead Or Alive song!

Recent Read* I loved - 
Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson - This seemed like the perfect book to go with my drawing this week. Astrid and Nicole have been best friends for most of their lives. They do everything together, or at least they did, until Astrid signs up for roller derby camp and Nicole goes to dance camp. Roller Girl is about growing up and growing apart, figuring out where you fit in, and navigating old and friendships. This graphic novel has a great middle grade voice in both the story and art. Crossing my fingers that author/artist Victoria Jamieson creates more graphic novels in the future! p.s. Happy to say that Roller Girl won a 2016 Newbery honor!
Graphic Novel:

* Note: Recent = books read the day of, the week before, or within the last year or so, but usually that month. Unless stated otherwise, all books were purchased by me, given to me as gifts by family or friends (not the authors or illustrators), or checked out of the library.

2 comments:

  1. I went with you up there^ and now I'm dizzy :P
    I remember the days of LPs, listening and watching them go round...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I miss playing LPs. It's easier to pop in a CD, and to select a track, but records were fun to play (and to watch go round and round).

      Delete