Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2016

a robot, alligator, chicken and bunny stranded on a tropical island, ala awards, and a recent PB read

The Illustration Friday prompt this week is: tropical. When I read the topic, I had a different drawing idea, but then the week got crazy. I didn't have a chance to draw until today, which is when I came up with a new idea (a robot on a tropical island). Though I think the idea might have occurred to me a couple of times earlier this week, but I dismissed it as too weird. Today, however, it seemed just right. So, here's my robot stranded on a tropical island, with an alligator, a bunny, and a chicken (but maybe not for long - there's a plane flying by):


Not sure I'd want to be stranded on a tropical island with an alligator, though this one does seem friendly (then again, I bet a lot of alligators seem friendly right before they eat you).

If I were stranded on a tropical island, I'd want to have some books with me, or a robot that liked telling stories. Speaking of stories, on Monday, the American Library Association announced the 2016 youth media award winners. Lots of excellent books won awards this year, and a picture book (Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña, illustrated by Christian Robinson) won the Newbery award, and also a Caldecott honor! It's a wonderful book. I enjoyed it last year when it came out, and I'm looking forward to reading it again.

Recent Read* I loved - 
Picture Book: NUGGET and FANG, Friends Forever - or Snack Time? by Tammi Sauer, illustrated by Michael Slack - Can a shark and a minnow be friends? Do sharks always eat fish? This picture book is a fun new take on that age old question, with fun to read text, hilarious illustrations, and characters you won't soon forget. (This was a re-read. Enjoyed reading Nugget and Fang's story again.)

* Note: Recent = books read the day of, the week before, or within the last year or so, but usually that month. Unless stated otherwise, all books were purchased by me, given to me as gifts by family or friends (not the authors or illustrators), or checked out of the library.

6 comments:

  1. Poor chicken and duck, stuck there with Alli...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or is it poor alligator stuck there with chicken and duck? Or maybe poor robot stuck there with all the animals? ;)

      Delete
  2. Love all the movement in your illustration. <3 Last Stop on Market Street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marcia! I love Last Stop on Market Street too! :)

      Delete
  3. Do those little islands ever have two trees? :D

    ReplyDelete