Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2009

14 wk novel, week 9: confessions and subplots

A confession: Remember in week 5 when I inexplicably decided that writing my chosen novel as a graphic novel meant that I could no longer use it for the 14 week novel? Well, that was dumb. I never stopped writing it, and as much as I love the book I switched to, writing both isn’t working and one of them has to go. The original one is the one that’s been constant throughout so I’m going back to it, or maybe I should just say I’m continuing with it. So the zombies win, and Sheila is happy.

I didn’t realize this project would take so many twists and turns! However, if you forget about the novel switch, the only real twist is that my book is now a graphic novel. What’s going to happen to the other novel? I’m still going to write it - after the other one is done. Two novels at once, is too many, especially with all the other projects going on.

Whew! It feels good to get that over with. Plus now I have a clear path and don’t have to feel guilty about working on my graphic novel.

Goals for week #9: At this point you’ve probably got a main storyline, but what about subplots or parallel plots? Have you thought about them yet? The goal this week is to plan out your subplots and/or parallel plots (if you haven’t already done that) and figure out how they work with the main plot and the main character. The other goal is, as always, to keep writing your novel.

Links: Wikepedia on subplot and the ABCs of subplot.

Quotes: (from GN conference 2008)
“It doesn’t have to be pompous to be great, it just has to have a core.” - Mark Siegel (FirstSecond)

“If you’re chasing after your own genius, I’m already interested in you.” - Mark Siegel
(I love this quote because it reminds me to strive for what might be impossible, or just out of my reach if I don’t push myself and take chances.)

“Respect the reader and let them participate in the cartoon.” - Paul Karasik
(He was talking about cartoons and comics, but it applies to novels too)

“Moby Dick in 40 pages is always going to suck.” – Scott McCloud
(He was talking about MD, the graphic novel, but it’s really about giving yourself enough room to tell the story, plus it’s a funny quote.)

No comments:

Post a Comment