Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Making Lemonade

A Teaser Tuesday post, of sorts ...

Making Lemonade by sruble

Sometimes Life hands you lemons and you make lemonade, but sometimes Life thwacks you in the head and you forget how to make lemonade. I mean really, this should be easy, right? You need lemons, sugar, and water. If you want to get really fancy, you could add an orange or a lime, or even a bit of mint. It’s lemonade, how hard could it be?

My best friend says that Life’s funny like that sometimes, like Life has a bad sense of humor or is a person with no social skills.
My dad says that Life is about building character, which is his code for take charge and make your own path. Dad was in the military; he can’t help himself.

I started making lemonade again recently. There was a huge display of lemons at the grocery store that must have triggered my memory, because the next thing I knew, I was walking out of the store with a bag full of lemons and a few other necessary ingredients. My lemonade recipe is a bit different these days and it takes longer to make. But it’s still lemonade, and that’s all that counts, right?

-------------

Book Pick: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin
Ever wonder what it would be like to lose your memory and not know anything that's happened in the last few years? Now imagine that happening when you're a teenager trying to navigate school, boyfriends, best friends, parents, extended family, and tons of people and things that you don't remember. That's what Naomi's life is after she hits her head.

4 comments:

  1. I used to make fresh lemonade by the bulk in a restaurant. Even with gloves on the juice would squirt up on my arms and after a while would cause a red itchy rash. So now I have a saying "It's not enjoyable to make lemoade when life hands you lemons by the bulk!"

    Aren't I just a little miss Suzy Sunsine!? :0P

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't want to make lemonade in bulk either!

    I like your saying. It's easier to be sunshiny when you don't have citrus burns :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write very well.

    ReplyDelete